Wednesday, August 5, 2009

How to report foreign investment in Canada?

I have some foreign investment (unit trusts, shares and bonds) from which I receive dividends. Those are all non-buisiness income, and the dividends from the unit trust have credits called imputation credits, automatically deducted at the rate of 33% by the bank. Also the dividends from shares and bonds are non-taxable in the country where I came from. Are they all taxable in Canada? If so, how I can report it on my tax return? I%26#039;m totally lost. Please help!



p.s. I believe my country has a double tax treaty with Canada. I%26#039;m currently in Ontario as a resident for tax purposes.



How to report foreign investment in Canada?military loans





The income is taxable in Canada. You will have to convert the amounts to Canadian dollars (the official exchange rates to use are available from the CRA web site) and report it on line 121 as %26quot;other income%26quot;.



For taxes that were withheld from these amounts, you can claim the Federal Foreign Tax Credit on lines 431 and 433.

No comments:

Post a Comment